Creamless Creamy Potato Rice Soup.

I should've taken a picture. This would be better with pictures but really, it's not an attractive soup once you're done with it. I made this soup with what I had in the fridge. It might have come out entirely differently had I other ingredients but we were both not feeling well and hadn't done our weekly shopping yet. 

~~~~

Peel 3 medium Russet potatoes and chunk them up. Dice up half an onion and smash/grate 3 cloves of garlic. 

Toss 2 TBL of butter in a pot and melt it with the potatoes, onions and garlic. I would've added celery too but it was all brown and mushy. Poor celery. I also used a lovely thyme, lemon and bay leaf salt grinder from Trader Joe's. Add salt and some herbs if you got 'em. Also loads of pepper. Let the onions cook down and the potatoes get coated but not browned. 


Cover the mess with a carton of chicken stock (you can also use mushroom stock and make a veggie version) and boil until the potatoes are soft. 

Grab your immersion blender and puree well. It might seem a little thin but no worries. It will be alright. The color was a little muddy from the darkness of the chicken stock. This is OK. Like I said, it's not a pretty soup. 

Grab about a half a cup (I'm guessing that's what was left in my big bag) of rice and just toss it in there. Stir it up a bit. Let your soup boil for about a minute and then turn it down to low simmer. 

Add a couple of fresh sliced mushrooms (never use canned. NEVER!) and a small handful of frozen corn and peas. If necessary, add a little more salt. 

Put a lid on and wait about 20 minutes or so. As the rice cooks, the soup will thicken up. Let it cool just a little before serving. You may have to stir it a few times to keep it from sticking/burning but it seems the more I took the lid off the longer I had to wait until it was done.

This soup is good for head colds and tummy troubles. Miracle elixir.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could've used olive oil instead of butter to make it completely dairy free but I wanted the comforting taste of butter. We were out of milk but I don't like consuming a lot of dairy when I have a runny nose. This soup hit the spot.